What is “alternative medicine”? According to dictionary.com, it is “healthcare and relief practices, including traditional Chinese medicine, chiropractic, folk medicine, and naturopathy, that minimize or eschew the use of surgery and drugs.”
In essence, any healthcare system outside of mainstream; ie, methods that try to work with the body before utilizing pharmaceuticals or invasive surgeries, which can mask the symptoms but don’t always solve the problem.
This can include:
- Upper cervical chiropractic, including NUCCA
- Correction of the spine using the uppermost vertebra in the neck for a more focused and specific correction of the entire misaligned spine.
- NUCCA is incredibly gentle, with no thrust into, or rotation of, the neck. It also stabilizes nicely, requiring less frequent visits.
- NUCCA is holistic, since it looks at the area around the brainstem as the “lever” for determining posture, blood flow to the brain, nerve information to all the organs of the body, balance and coordination, and pain patterns.
- Correction of the spine through adjustments, typically manual, for the purpose of improving the nervous system, and thereby reducing pain and improving the function of all aspects of the body.
- Chinese medicine where small needles are placed in various “meridians” on the surface of the body, to improve the function of the body and reduce pain.
- Body work focusing on the soft tissues (muscles, ligaments, and fascia) for relaxation, as well as pain relief.
- Naturopathic medicine
- Utilizing diet, exercise, lifestyle changes and natural remedies for healing the body.
- Homeopathic medicine
- Utilizing small amounts of plant, mineral and chemical substances that will stimulate the body’s natural defenses. The concept is “like cures like,” hence the root word “homeo” or “same.” Often used for allergies, asthma, arthritis, colds and flu.
- Applied Kinesiology
- Utilizing muscle-testing to determine the needs of the body. Can be used for nerves, vascular system, nutrition and lymphatic system.
Are they truly “alternative”?
More people are reaching for alternative solutions for their health, especially in the Bay Area. When so many people are using it, is it not then becoming “mainstream”?
Many of these options aren’t new, and in some circles they are the traditional methods of healthcare.
- Chiropractic was founded in 1895, but stems from older methods.
- Acupuncture is over 2400 years old.
- Homeopathy began as early as 400 B.C. but was “proposed” by a German physician in 1796.
- Naturopathic medicine got its name in 1895.
Holistic: Addressing the Whole Person
Alternative medicine is truly more holistic than traditional medicine. Instead of focusing on a kidney problem, alternative practitioners consider what the body needs, regardless of whether the kidney itself will be the first relief care. Perhaps the nerves that feed the kidney need help first. Perhaps the liver needs help so that it doesn’t tax the kidney, therefore allowing the kidney to function better on its own.
When medical doctors and pharmaceuticals don’t help, there are other options – holistic options.
Are you looking for a solution to your low back pain or headaches? Are you tired of “mainstream” methods?
See a NUCCA doctor to gently and effectively boost your body’s innate abilities to heal. Eliminate your pain. Increase your vitality!
Vital Life Wellness Center is located in the Tri-Valley, east of the San Francisco Bay.